Stokes Hill Wharf
Open all day, every day.
The historic Stokes Hill Wharf offers a relaxed friendly atmosphere with a choice of two seaside alfresco eateries or casual restaurant dining, specialising in fresh local seafood and steak.
Take family or friends on a harbour cruise, catch a fish from the fishing platform or simply enjoy year-round panoramic views and sensational sunsets.
The Wharf remains a working wharf for smaller marine industry users and cruising yachts, harbour tours & cruises depart daily, and free live entertainment is available on Wednesdays and Sundays during the Dry Season.
- Incredible India
- Kims on the Wharf
- Port Side Char Grill
- The Liquor Bar
- Red Dragon
- Café 21
- Fish & Chips on the Wharf
- Kims on the Wharf
- Siam Thai
- The Ice Cream Shop
- Crustaceans on the Wharf
- The Jetty Restaurant
Harbour Touring & Cruising
- Australian Harbour Cruises
- Cape Adieu Cruises
- City of Darwin Cruises
- Darwin Harbour Cruises
- Darwin Sunset Sailing
- Sailing Adventures NT
- Sea Darwin
- Spirit of Darwin
- Streeter Cruises
Vehicles can drive onto the Wharf; however there is a deck load limit of 12 tonne and a permit is required for coaches.
Limited free parking is available on the Wharf especially at its peak, during the afternoon and evenings. Patrons can alternatively park at the off street car parks at the entrance to the wharf and enjoy a 500m casual walk past many attractions.
Stokes Hill Road Car Park A (opposite Convention Centre) Parking off-street at Stokes Hill Road Car Park A is charged at a flat rate of $3.00 for a maximum of 3 hours on weekdays between 8am and 5pm.
Stokes Hill Road B (adjacent to Indo Pacific Marine) Parking off-street at Stokes Hill Road Car Park B is charged at a rate of $1 per hour for a maximum of 3 hours on weekdays between 8am and 5pm.
Darwin Convention Centre Basement The basement car park is open 24 hours and charged at a flat rate of $5 per day, 7 days.
For alternative parking at Darwin Waterfront click here
History of the Wharf
In 1885-86 the Railway Jetty was built of timber construction in the same general position as today’s Stokes Hill Wharf but considerably smaller in size. As the railway (Palmerston to Pine Creek) ran onto the wharf it enabled direct transshipment from ship to rail.
The original railway wharf of 1885 didn’t last long, since the timbers were eaten by termites. Consequently it was replaced, on virtually the same Stokes Hill site in 1904, by a new wharf which became known as Town Wharf.
Its poor design, allowing only five railway wagons on the wharf at one time and no access for a locomotive, was criticised continually throughout its life, and much of the high cost of goods in Darwin was attributed to it. Nevertheless it gave the Port of Darwin good service until it was severely damaged in the Japanese bombing raids of 1942. During this period 1903-1942 it was Darwin’s only wharf, and handled all cargo and passengers.
Some repairs and reconstruction were carried out during World War II but the sunken wrecks were not finally removed until 1961.
Stokes Hill Wharf, as we know it today, was commenced in 1953, completed in 1956 and continually modified until 1972. Up until the commissioning of the New Fort Hill Wharf in 1981, it was the main general cargo wharf for the port.
To view a selection of heritage sites within the Darwin Waterfront precinct, please click here to download a copy of the Heritage & Cultural Trail brochure.
We encourage visitors to follow the designated paths and trails while learning about our heritage.